Today I finally got my shiz together and decided to mock up something in 3DS Max:
|I've added low poly, but to scale PlayStation 1's so you can get a sense of how big it will be.|
It's hard to tell in the above render, but I've designed all the separate objects to be the actual sized bits of wood which I have to cut up. I plan to join it all up with screws in the right places, as well as wood glue. This is how I did it when I built stuff in high school, and it always made the object quite sturdy. I will also probably put felt on the bottom so I can easily slide it if need be.
I'm very excited that I'm finally getting somewhere with this. Soon I'll go into a hardware store, measure up the wood properly and make up a proper plan. I'll blog another post about this when I have that all worked out.